Subtraction stories

This was just so cute.

Background: We've been looking at some subtraction stories with pictures in a book called "MIMOSA Moving Into Math" (you might find it at eBay) with my three-year old daughter. Well one evening here recently, *somehow* her mind started working, and suddenly, totally spontaneously, she came up with this story:

"Mommy, I have a subtraction story: There were three potties at first. But then mommy broke one (which is very true! - I did manage to break a potty a few days ago), and so now there are only two left."

Then she proceeded to help me with rinsing the dishes and the stories continued: "I have four spoons to rinse. I rinse one, and now there's three left to rinse!"

I said how about one with bananas. She said, "YES! There were ten bananas originally. Then, we ate one. And there are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10... (she had to count up).. NINE left for DADDY!"

(My husband does like bananas quite well.)

After dishes she still made some more with the plastic bears and such.

What a moment of joy for the teacher - makes me thankful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?