Adding 2-digit numbers - followup

So today I experimented, and gave my daughter a problem 15 + 25 for starters, to see what she'd do.


1 5
+ 2 5

10


She promptly wrote down 3 and 10. Then she looked at the numbers, kind of wondering, saying "It's ten three." I asked her how would we say the number, pointing with my finger and making a sweeping motion from 3 towards 10, and then she said, "Thirty-ten."

I said yes, it's thirty-ten, but we say it differently normally. Then I asked her to find it out using abacus. She easily found it was 40. Then we erased her numbers and wrote in 40.

She did two more similar problems on her own, first adding tens, then ones (as her custom seems to be), and then erasing the numbers and changing them to the right result. She seemed very happy for being able to understand the gimmick.

So we did all that without discussing 'carrying' or putting little number 1 up on top, or anything.

I figure next time I'll try a problem where the ones add up to 11 or 12.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We do this all the time, working our math orally (no erasing) and just writing down the final answer. It's a great way to help the student understand what is happening when you add, because it separates the two steps: putting-together and renaming. Besides, the kids seem to enjoy using "silly numbers" like sixty-twelve.
Stephen said…
When my son was having trouble with addition and subtraction in 2nd grade, i bought a soroban and started teaching him. I noticed right away that someone (probably another student) had taught him how to add (and subtract) by counting on his fingers - badly. From off by one errors, he'd get the right answer one in three times. Very frustrating. So, i corrected this, then did the abacus thing. In just a few months, his math had turned around. Well, at home. At school he didn't have his soroban, so though it was improved, it wasn't fixed. So, i started over but instead of the soroban, i used fingers. The thumb is worth five, just like the heaven bead. He now does three digit arithmetic on his fingers (using an imaginary third hand).

This isn't anything new, of course. But i didn't see any resources for free that really captured the spirit of what i wanted. My son is brilliant, but has a very short attention span. I needed lessons that teach exactly one new idea. I needed to be able to teach that idea in the five second windows available. Once he has the new idea, he gets exercises for a week before the next one comes.

I've started writing this up on my blog. The
first lesson starts with counting. I have six parts up, with a couple more written, making it through adding single digits. I do not intend go past Partial Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems. Rocket Science was good enough for me, it should be good enough for anyone.

I've hardly thought about subtraction. When i was going to start it, my son had an open five second window, and derived the whole thing in his head. I moved on.

I welcome comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?